Dermatitis (also called eczema) is a skin condition which is common among farmers. It is very uncomfortable and can be caused by contact with a range of things on the farm including:
- Farm chemicals
- Solvents and cleaners
- Pesticides & fertilisers
Dermatitis symptoms include dry, red, scaly, swollen and itchy skin. Sometimes the skin can crack, blister and weep.
- Replace normal soap with a soap free cleanser like sorbolene and use sparingly.
- Have lukewarm, rather than hot showers or baths. as heat exacerbates the itch.
- Avoid perfumes or scented moisturisers
- Wear soft, preferably cotton clothes
See your doctor if it doesn’t clear up in a few weeks
- Wear gloves with cotton liners whenever possible, especially when handling chemicals.
- Use unperfumed moisturisers regularly to prevent dry skin (keep tubs or tubes near hand washing areas)